Stamford Charter School for Excellence will be accepting submissions for the 2016 -2017 school year wait list for pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, first and second grades. Stamford Excellence is a free public charter school, with admission open to all Stamford residents. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (203) 989-0000.
Welcome to Stamford Excellence!
Stamford Excellence is a Pre-K to 5 school based on a proven, nationally-recognized school model, practiced by the Bronx Charter School for Excellence, that can boost student achievement and prepare more Stamford students for college and the jobs of tomorrow. This public charter school will open in the fall of 2015 with 168 students starting with grades PreK - 1st.
Key Elements of the Model Proposed for the Stamford School:
1. High academic standards focused on preparing kids for college and jobs.
2. Extended school days
3. Broad liberal arts education that stresses teaching critical thinking skills
4. Data-driven instruction
5. Rigorous parent engagement
6. Open collaboration with the community
Charter School Facts:
- Charter schools are free, open-enrollment public schools that admit students via a blind lottery. They cannot and do not exclude students on the basis of their academic ability.
- They are managed by non-profits and subjects to government oversight. If they are mismanaged or do not perform, charters can be shut down by the state.
- State charter schools do not take funding away from the local school district in any way, shape or form - they are funded via a separate state grant. C.G.S.A. § 10-66ee.
- While there are charter and high schools, there are no charter elementary schools in Stamford. SCSE offers another high performing academic option for families.