The Education Model Works
- High-performing charter-schools can help prepare more Stamford children for college and the jobs of tomorrow.
- The proposed Stamford Charter School for Excellence is based on a proven model from the Bronx Charter School for Excellence (BCSE).
- BCSE is a 2012 National Blue Ribbon Award recipient, and consistently one of the highest performing charter schools in the state of New York.
- In 2012, 95% of its students were proficient in math, and 86% were proficient in reading - nearly double the scores of the district schools in its neighborhood.
- BCSE consistently receives A's and B's on its report card from the New York City Department of Education.
- BCSE has had a 96% staff and student retention rate for the past five years.
- BCSE believes that community engagement is vital for student success. Its challenging academic program is complimented by parent-driven initiatives, school-wide events and an extensive extracurricular offerings that work together to enrich the total child.
- In New York City, BCSE was chosen to receive a grant to help one of their neighboring district schools improve its practices and learn from our school's model. Connecticut's new district-charter partnerships program may provide a similar opportunity to collaborate with the local school district to share in SCSE's results while creating a platform to support this new school and share its practices.